Prime Seed Co - a subsidiary of Seed Co Group is inviting applicants from suitably qualified, mature and experienced persons to fill the above position that has risen within the group. The incumbent who shall report to the Group Head of Research shall be based at Stapleford Research Centre, in Zimbabwe.
To breed selected vegetables, and to evaluate several vegetable crop varieties
- PhD in Plant Breeding
- Possess a motor vehicle driver’s license.
- Be able to travel in country (Zimbabwe) and abroad very regularly.
- Be able to travel abroad for initial training
- Very good knowledge of computer applications
- Very good knowledge of quantitative and population genetics
- Strategic Planning and Analysis – Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, with the end result in mind. Must have a good capacity for analysis and attention to detail with the ability to detect subtle differences between plants. Ability to design a breeding scheme based on multiple and complex information sources. Ability to bring new ideas to the table, thinks critically, and makes proposals for process improvements.
- Technical Skills – Experience with collecting and analysing experimental data; genetic statistics and experimental design.
- Interpersonal Skills – Must possess strong communication skills. Ability to develop and maintain productive work relationships with a diverse team across positions within the organization. Ability to interact with internal partners such as the farm operations team, the labs, the development teams, and external partners. Open minded, possessing the ability to collaborate with others. Ability to train and manage seasonal workers.
- Teamwork - Team player with a positive attitude, and the ability to facilitate teamwork among colleagues and staff. Ability to manage large projects with multiple partners worldwide. Willingness to cooperate, and openly share information with lab researchers.
- Judgment - Exhibit sound and accurate judgment. Accept personal responsibility for task fulfilment and job performance. Ability to disclose any mistakes made, with the awareness of the consequences of making mistakes, and the threat any mistake may pose to the breeding program.
- Professionalism - Highly self-motivated individual, with a high level of time management and organizational skills. Well-organized, committed, accurate and thorough with attention to detail. Must possess rigorous scientific manner and practices.
- Adaptability - Ability to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. Ability and willingness to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions and for extended hours during peak periods. Must be available for frequent travel within the United States, and abroad to off-station sites.
- Dependability - Reliable and consistent attendance and punctuality. Ability to work in an independent and self-directed manner and ensure work responsibilities are covered.
MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF THE JOB
- Define the breeding strategy and develop a genetic improvement program to create new and original vegetable products.
- Generate and develop a pipeline of vegetable products by coordinating the implementation of programs through a network of breeding station and screening sites and leveraging current research technologies.
- Adapt derived varieties to target markets in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) via objective phenotyping and statistical analysis of genetic material.
- Remain abreast of requirements specific for tropical germplasm and vegetable products.
- Provide support services to agronomists, product development, and seed production and business teams, across Africa.
- Manage breeding assistants and/or assist with the management of temporary or contract workers.
- Train sales staff and farmers on the details of product pipeline in development
- Present products at field days and other customer-facing events.
- Administer budget and procurement of necessary research supplies.
- Ensure that sound Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) protocols are implemented and adhered to in the breeding programme and research stations.
- Produce regular and annual research reports and presentations to Research Committee.
- Develop and disseminate information to SBU functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the candidate will be expected to frequently travel and should anticipate intensive travel schedules during peak periods. As part of work duties, the candidate may be asked to drive cars, trucks, forklifts, or other equipment, and to work during weekends and public holidays and after hours. This candidate will be exposed to adverse weather conditions and may need to walk on uneven ground, work near equipment or machinery. The noise level that is typical of this work environment is moderate.
Interested candidates who meet the above mentioned requirements should email their applications accompanied by a comprehensive CV and certified copies of certificates not later than 8 December 2017 to email@example.com.